As expected, the ink sac did not survive 100 years. Upon getting the pen, I opened it up and removed the rubber dust remains of the sac. For cleaning the pen, I used a soft cloth to wipe some dirt out from the threads, and dry cotton swabs to clean the inside. If you have a Snapfil pen, it is important to never put the pen in water, especially warm water. Water can cause discoloration to a hard rubber pen. The only part of a hard rubber pen that I would put in water is the nib, feed, and section. The section, while still hard rubber, has been less exposed so it is less likely to discolor. I put the nib, feed, and section of in my ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes. This removed all the dried ink from the nib and feed.
Following the ultrasonic cleaning, I set the section out to dry. After drying, I put a new sac on and let the shellac dry for a few hours. Once the shellac was dry, I put the section back in the pen and tested its filling mechanism with some water to be safe. The filling system worked as intended, so I emptied the water and filled the pen with Waterman Florida Blue. The pen now is a very fun writer.
The pen (minus the cap) came to $26.91. The cap cost me about $5 as I got it in a box with lots of other goodies. The pen sac is a cheap, $2 part. To have a nice round number, I’ll factor in $1.09 for water and shellac. After a couple hours of work, I have an amazing writer at a great value. The total cost of this pen was only $35! You cannot get anything close to this buying a new pen for that price!